17 years of experience in labor and employment law. Leonard has substantial trial, appellate and arbitration experience and has litigated as a counsel at all levels of the Malaysian and Singaporean court hierarchy in labor and other matters. He represents blue-chip corporate clients and foreign multinational companies in domestic and international arbitrations. has acted as counsel in numerous cases before the High Court of Singapore and conducted domestic and international arbitrations held in Singapore. He has been involved in various landmark cases as a leading counsel.
- Partner, Tay & Partners, 2002 - Present
- From 2001 to 2002, he practiced with one of Asia-Pacificâ€™s premier law firms, based in Singapore
- University of Leeds, UK, LL.B (Hons) (Second Upper), 1994.
- Admitted as an Utter Barrister to the Bar of England & Wales, 1995
- Member of the Honourable Society of Lincolnâ€™s Inn, London.
- Admitted as an Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in 1996 and the Supreme Court of Singapore, 2001.
Languages: English, Bahasa Malaysia, Chinese
- Vice-Chair of the Employment & Immigration Law Committee of Inter-Pacific Bar Association (IPBA).
- Member of both the Home Affairs & Human Resource Committee and the Arbitration & Legal Affairs Committee of the Malaysian International Chamber of Commerce and Industry (MICCI).
- Member of the Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers (FMM)â€™s Human Resource Management Committee.
- Nominated by in-house counsel worldwide and his peers to appear in the Guide to the Worldâ€™s Leading Labour & Employment Lawyers, published by Euromoney under its Expert Guides series.
- Featured in the International Whoâ€™s Who of Management Employment Lawyers.
- Voted and nominated consistently by clients, peers and the industry as one of Asiaâ€™s leading lawyers in Labour & Employment and Dispute Resolution by Asialaw Leading Lawyers, Chambers Asia, Asia Pacific Legal 500 and Asian Legal Business.
- He writes and contributes regularly to Asian Legal Business and Asian-Counsel magazines.
- Leonard was the Labor & Employment Law Speaker at the ALB In-House Counsel Summit 2005 held in Indonesia
- He speaks and chairs regularly at international and regional legal conferences on topics including Labour and Employment Law, Industrial Relations, Regional Dispute Resolution, ICC Arbitration and Construction.
Established in 1989, our affiliate in Malaysia is a full service commercial law firm serving a large portfolio of local and multinational clients across a wide range of industry sectors. The firm has extensive experience working with clients on issues in all major business and labor law practice areas. The firm brings a global perspective to its work, regularly assisting foreign clients investing or operating in Malaysia as they navigate the legal structures that govern industry in the country and throughout South East Asia.
Labor and Employment Practice:
The team has worked with a wide range of companies in all major labor law practice areas, including collective agreements, trade unions, sexual harassment, and corporate restructuring, among many others. In addition, the team frequently works with international companies bringing foreign employees to Malaysia, guiding the employees to obtain the permits or visas necessary to ensure they are able to work.
Our counsel has extensive experience in providing comprehensive and cutting-edge advice to employers in respect of industrial relations and employment matters. As one of the leading legal advisers to a large number of MNCs in Malaysia and regionally, our labor & employment lawyers represent and advise clients on all aspects of industrial relations and employment issues, encompassing both contentious and non-contentious.
The Plus â€“ Business Law Capacity:
Our affiliate has experience working with clients across a variety of industry sectors, providing advice and counsel on a full range of business law issues. The teamâ€™s lawyers have a thorough knowledge of all major business law practice areas, including capital markets, dispute resolution, real estate, and mergers and acquisitions, among many others. The firm also works regularly to help foreign clients structure investments, joint ventures, and business transactions in Malaysia and across borders.
The team represents domestic and international clients from a wide range of industry sectors, including finance, service, and telecommunications.
- Locations: Kuala Lumpur, Johor Bahru
- Size: 13 Partners, 18 Associates
- Business Law Practice Areas: Corporate, Commercial, Equity Capital Markets, Debt Capital Markets, Banking & Finance, Intellectual Property, Technology & Data Protection, Dispute Resolution â€“ Litigation Arbitration and Employment & Industrial Relations
- Languages: English, Malay, Chinese
- Recognized by the Worldâ€™s Leading Employment Lawyers (a Euromoney publication), the International Whoâ€™s Who of Management Employment Lawyers, Chambers Asia and the Asia Pacific Legal 500
- Top ranked Employment & Labor Law Firm in Malaysia by Asian Legal Business (ALB)
- Ranked as one of the leading law firms in Asia Pacific Legal 500, IFLR 1000, Chambers Global Guide and Chambers Asia Pacific (2013).