35 years of experience in labor and employment law, including advising on day-to-day employment related contracts, employment regulations and representing domestic and foreign companies in the dispute negotiation, labor tribunal and usual court proceedings.
Other Areas of Practice:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Corporate reorganization
- Joint ventures and commercial litigations Including domestic and cross-border litigations
- Partner, Bingham, 2007 â€“ Present
- Partner, New Tokyo International law firm, 2001 â€“2007
- Partner Tanaka & Takahashi,1988-2000
- Coudert Brothers New York, 1987 â€“1988
- University of Illinois College of Law, Master of Comparative Law (1987)
- The Legal Training and research Institute of the Supreme Court of Japan (1979)
- Waseda University, Faculty of Law (1976)
Languages: Japanese and English
- Daini Tokyo Bar Association, American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association, International Bar Association
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association
- Association Internationale des Jeunes Avocats (Former Representative Delegation for Japan)
- The Law and Practice of Dispute resolution Clauses (co-author) (2012)
- Theories, Practice and Forms of New Bankruptcy Law, Second Edition (Foreign Bankruptcy) (co-author) (2008)
- â€śLivedoorâ€™s Misstatement in SEC Report and Delistingâ€ť Nikkei BP Net Business (February 2006)
- â€śLivedoorâ€™s Violation of the Securities and Exchange Lawâ€ť Nikkei BP Net Business (January 2006)
- â€śSuccess of Internet Blogâ€ť Nikkei BP Net Business (December 2005)
- â€śCopyright Issue of AVEX and NOMANEKOâ€ť Nikkei BP Net Business (November 2005)
- â€śGoogle Library Project and Copyright Issueâ€ť Nikkei BP Net Business (November 2005)
- â€śPublic Office Election Law and Internet Usage Issueâ€ť Nikkei BP Net Business (September 2005)
- â€śGoogle and Microsoft's Headhunting and Illegal Actâ€ť Nikkei BP Net Business (August 2005)
Our affiliate 70-lawyer office in Japan â€” composed mostly of qualified Japanese bengoshi â€” is one of the largest international law firms in the country. Providing in-depth, practical advice on legal, business and governmental relations, our partners in Japan help clients navigate the unique cultural framework of the region. The firmâ€™s lawyers have distinguished and diverse backgrounds in the American and Japanese bars and have worked within major Japanese financial institutions, companies and across all levels of government. The firm provides comprehensive legal and strategic advice to major Japanese and international financial institutions and corporations, including banks, insurance companies, trading firms, manufacturers, investment funds and technology ventures.
Labor and Employment Practice:
Our affiliate provides an extensive range of labor and employment services to corporate clients operating in the region. With a large team of highly experienced lawyers, the firm has the capacity to provide defense of complex labor litigation as well as retaining the flexibility to efficiently and effectively navigate the needs of both small, domestic companies as well as large multinationals. The Japanese team provides strategic and tactical advice that emphasizes best practices, prevention and compliance.
The team offers comprehensive counseling, human resources consulting, management training and litigation services. Forming partnerships with clientsâ€™ human resource personnel, the team seeks to identify employment issues, avoid potential workplace problems and quickly resolve issues that may arise. In anticipation, they have the ability to tailor management-training programs to meet clientsâ€™ unique objectives.
The firm also handled workplace disputes, representing employers in administrative and judicial forums. Drawing on their extensive trial experience, our dedicated counsel in Japan knows how to ascertain exposure, manage risk and litigate in a cost-efficient and effective manner, developing optimal practice policies to manage personnel and minimize the risk of costly and disruptive litigation procedures. Should litigation be unavoidable, however, the team has a reputation for being both proactive and aggressive.
The Plus - Business Law Capacity:
The team provides a comprehensive portfolio of business law services to both domestic and overseas companies across a diverse range of industry sectors. Business law services provided include: corporate and commercial, estate, charitable planning, finance, M&A, securities, tax law, media and telecommunications and tax law.
A representative client list includes among other industry sectors consumer products, producers of baked goods, equipment manufacturing, technology, biotechnology, semiconductor, professional services, financial services, accounting, real estate development, property management, higher education, office supplies, packaging, retail, nonprofit organizations and government, transportation, hospitality, publishing, media, entertainment, and healthcare.
- Location: Tokyo
- Size: 28 Partners, 42 Associates
- Business Law Practice Areas: Corporate; Environmental; Estate and Charitable Planning; Finance; Industry Practices; Insurance, Legislative & Government; Litigation; Mergers & Acquisitions; Real Estate; Securities; Tax Law; Telecommunications, Media & Technology; Regulatoryâ€™ Intellectual Property; Antitrust; Litigation; and Real Estate.
- Languages: English, Japanese
- Ranked No 1 Foreign Law Joint Enterprise for restructuring;
- Managing Partner ranked first among individual lawyers by Chambers Asia in 2012.